Jul 08 2007

High tech capital of the Pacific Northwest

Microsoft is setting up shop in Vancouver. Who knew the brain drain could work both ways?

Thanks, American immigration bureaucrats. If you don’t want to give green cards and work visas to smart and talented people, we’ll happily take them over here.

Just one more addition to Vancouver’s high-tech cluster. Keep ’em coming!

6 Responses to “High tech capital of the Pacific Northwest”

1. on 08 Jul 2007 at 4:17 am

I had the exact opposite sentiment on my blog. I view it as a corporation circumventing immigration laws by relocating to a more Liberal country.

Sorry to disturb the software giants “development” of talent, and the horrors of having to hire Americans. Something so insignificant as acquiring a work visa should be reason enough to leave the country.

2. on 08 Jul 2007 at 5:22 am

I sympathize with your view, but let me get this straight: You write a Conservative, Canadian-based blog, and yet you are opposed to the free movement of well-paid, high tech jobs into Canada? Have I got that right?

Microsoft can hardly be accused of circumventing immigration laws, unless you are accusing every single American branch plant in Canada of exactly the same thing. If they all pulled out on that basis, the USA would take a hit, but it seems to me that our economy would take a savage and prolonged beating.

If there aren’t enough Americans to do the job and they don’t want to import them, then American high tech companies have no choice but to go the route of their low-tech counterparts and outsource. It’s nice to be on the winning side of the outsourcing game for once, and I’m not complaining.

3. on 08 Jul 2007 at 5:57 am

Pretty much. I believe in the free market, but not at the expense of outsourcing our talented domestic workers. And if Microsoft can’t hire talented Americans, they should go through the proper immigration laws and respect the rule of law.

Let me be clear. I’m fine with diversity. But the rule of law is absolute. Microsoft is using globalization to “cheat”.

4. on 09 Jul 2007 at 12:43 am

Hi Jonathon,
    I can tell you firsthand that the quality of life in the US is slipping, and this was plainly evident when I returned here after a trip back to the US East coast – and I wasn’t visiting lousy places either (my parent’s house in a wealthy suburb of Baltimore, and the grounds of a private school in New Hampshire).

Whether or not Microsoft’s move is to find a loophole so that they can hire programmers from outside the US with less difficulty or not (and yeah, that’s probably what it is), it’s just piece of a bigger problem: The US is sick. It’s getting sicker each day, with the economy being bled by the unending war in Iraq, broken health care and public education systems, paralysis brought on by an incompetent and corrupt administration that is ‘waiting out the clock’ so that they can creep away with enough money to avoid jail time, an environmental and energy policy that is entirely based on sweetheart deals with Oil Companies, Mines and failing Automobile Manufacturers, and precious little chipping away at the gargantuan national debt that threatens to bring the country to its knees if the Chinese and other foreign investors call in their chips. A pretty sad state, I’d say.

This immigration inanity is just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty of reasons for the brain drain to go toward Canada. Just look at the exchange rate. When my wife and I moved here 2 years ago, we did so because the signs all seemed to be pointing to this, and nothing has changed.

Perhaps the ultimate global free market is one in which workers can’invest’ their earnings and taxes in a country where they think there will be a return down the road. Right now, the US is a bad investment, and Microsoft is doing what any competent capitalist would do, placing their own investment capital where it might yield better returns.

5. on 09 Jul 2007 at 1:49 am

The quality of life in Vancouver is slipping too. Since I go downtown about once a year and because I don’t live there day to day I really see the effect the ‘human stain’ is making. When I first moved to Vancouver the Downtown Eastside was seedy, but colorful; now it’s frightening and spreading.

6. on 09 Jul 2007 at 2:24 am

Thanks for your insight, David. Let’s hope that Americans can overcome their current menu of catastrophes and retake their place as a great nation – for all our sakes.

In the meantime, welcome, Mr. Gates. We’re happy to have you. Oh, and you’ve brought some friends with you. Well, let’s introduce ourselves…