Jan 04 2008

Globe&Post: Walls, camps and rhetoric

Published by at 3:09 pm under Uncategorized

Cupe BC’s latest version of The Wall Must Fall: End the Occupation and Violence In Israel-Palestine is out. Clearly, our local union has taken the position that the people of a democracy under existential threat ought not to have the right to protect its own citizens from suicide bombs (since Israel’s security wall does nothing to protect Israeli citizens from a constant barrage of missile attacks from Gaza).

All of the wall’s critics somehow fail to notice the public reason why it was set up in the first place: to prevent terrorists from entering Israeli territory and blowing up crowded markets and discos. In the security wall’s stated purpose, it has been quite effective. The wall is not a permanent or perfect solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but a simple tactic used to stop fanatics from killing people.

Of course, there are critics of the wall will point to it as a symbol of racist oppression, pure and simple. Taking it just a little bit further, others like BC blogger Engaged Spectator casually compare the Palestinian territory of Gaza to a Nazi concentration camp.

For those who sincerely care about this topic and would like more information, the following Youtube clips ought to illustrate it well enough.

A Nazi Concentration Camp (1945)

Current conditions in the Gaza strip (2008)

Really, really, not the same thing.

6 Responses to “Globe&Post: Walls, camps and rhetoric”

1. dirkon 04 Jan 2008 at 4:05 pm

well John the post of mine you linked to.”Compares”Gaza to the Warsaw ghetto.
    A very fitting analogy both populations were imprisoned behind walls.Both did not have free will to come and go as they pleased.Both who engaged in fighting with their oppressors.
    Both who where subjected to collective punishment at the hands of their oppressors.
    But hey don’t take my word for it,ask Palestinians that live there,ask Israeli citizens who have said the same and who stand in solidarity with Palestinian peoples.

2. jnarveyon 04 Jan 2008 at 5:12 pm

Dirk, a direct quote from your post in question: “Gaza is now but a concentration camp…”

Your words, not mine, then repeated in your comment on my post.

Dirk, average life expectancy for Nazi concentration camp prisoners was several months (not including the sick and elderly who faced immediate execution on arrival). Virtually 100 per cent of prisoners in these camps died, and quickly at that.

In contrast, the Palestinian population in the West Bank and Gaza has actually managed to perpetuate itself and grow by millions over several decades.

Both situations are of course tragic in their own way. Don’t dishonor the victims with stupid lies.

On the face of it, your comparison is just more knee-jerk Israelis-as-Nazis rhetoric that doesn’t get any truer with repetition.

3. dirkon 06 Jan 2008 at 5:19 pm

I say again…”So for all intensive purposed Gaza is a concentration camp.And it does share some (not all)similarities with Nazi camps.”

JH said…”In contrast, the Palestinian population in the West Bank and Gaza has actually managed to perpetuate itself and grow by millions over several decades”…

so what the hell does that mean.Because they try and live and have children this means what

The fact remains Gaza is a prison it shares many similarities with Nazi concentration camps and the Warsaw ghetto.
    You can quibble over all you want over all the situations re very similar

4. jnarveyon 06 Jan 2008 at 10:17 pm

I’ve clearly given you a platform to spout off brainless rhetoric. My mistake. I apologize to my readers.

5. dirkon 10 Jan 2008 at 11:36 pm

JN said…”I’ve clearly given you a platform to spout off brainless rhetoric. My mistake. I apologize to my readers”…

what the fuck you linked to me,and included one of my posts in your post.Gave me a platform…wtf ?
    Further more can you read….
    I said there are similarities between Gaza and the Warsaw Ghetto.I will repeat for you ,SIMILARITIES….
    And again for all intensive purposes Gaza is a concentration camp,its peoples are not allowed free movement in or out and also in some areas of Gaza the people are not allowed access.Its borders are controlled by Israel,its tax revenues are controlled by Israel,its foreign trade is controlled by Israel.The only difference now since the Israelis pulled out and dismantled their illegal settlements,there is no need for Israeli troops inside Gaza,they just pulled out to man the borders.
    If that’s not a prison/concentration camp what is it?
    As for brainless rhetoric, please….

6. jnarveyon 11 Jan 2008 at 1:03 am

I have SIMILARITIES to an amoeba. Of course, there are so many differences that one would be hard-pressed to say that Jonathon IS an amoeba.

Is Gaza an open-air prison? I’d certainly be willing to listen to that line of argument. What’s happening in Gaza is certainly a tragedy, one made all the more tragic by the fact that Palestinians would actually have more freedom of movement, have more food in their stomachs and be closer to getting the state that they deserve if their militant representatives STOPPED firing missiles and launching raids at Israel every single day.

But is Gaza a factory of death in which the inmates are ALL likely going to be exterminated through hard labor, starvation, beatings and torture within the next several months? Not at all.

As such, your rhetoric is so clearly exaggerated, it seems to be the same sort of stuff that people on the right use (justifiably) as a club to whack the left into irrelevance on so many issues.

Sorry to use such harsh language, Dirk, but there are positions that push the envelope and there are positions that cross the line into incredulity. Frankly, I expected more from you, given your excellent punditry on other issues. You have yet to convince me that your opinion on this issue is really all that well thought-out. I invite you to call me out as a condescending snob all you like, but that’s where I stand.