Jun 17 2008

TechView: Still Scared By The Dotcom Bust… In 2008?

Published by at 10:25 pm under Uncategorized

The BC technology industry, like most other industries in our booming province, seems to be immune to the economic slump hitting the USA and parts of Canada dependent on American branch-plant manufacturing (read: Ontario). The tech sector is looking to fill 10,000 jobs this year, on top of the 75,000 people already employed in the industry (PR Web), including yours truly. The participants at tonight’s Third Tuesday social media marketing extravaganza like superstar SM consultant Joe Solomon, super marketer Tanya Davis and SM evangelist Monica Hamburg are perfect examples of professionals who have found opportunities in the tech sector and are using tools for work that simply weren’t around just a few years ago. (My apologies to my friends at the event. Not feeling too well. I PROMISE to attend the next one. In the meantime, I’m sure Raul’s excellent liveblog of the Third Tuesday event will have to tide me over.

But the other side of the tech jobs story is that there don’t seem to be enough people to actually fill the jobs. Odd, since a lot of these jobs seem to have exactly the sorts of things people like in a job: good pay, opportunities, a creative environment and the “cool” factor of being able to say “I work in tech”. Is the dotcom bust buzzkill from 2000 still keeping people away from a burgeoning industry?

If so, all the parents who are still steering their kids away from tech and into the trades might start feeling awfully foolish when all those jobs dry up when the 2010 Olympics projects are done and the housing market slows down (Oh, wait, the second part has already come true).

For more on this issue, check out my post on Techvibes, Who Wants an Interesting, Well-Paid Job in IT? Anyone? Hello?

In the meantime, I discovered this excellent video about some interesting people who have managed to find some really cool tech jobs: Tetris block pilots.

6 Responses to “TechView: Still Scared By The Dotcom Bust… In 2008?”

1. Monica Hamburgon 18 Jun 2008 at 8:48 am

Thanks, Jonathon! I don’t know about Joe, but I found it refreshing to see the SM before my name without the “&’.

2. Larry Yatkowskyon 18 Jun 2008 at 7:18 pm

“the housing market slows down”

– it’s just a reality adjustment 😉

3. Tanya (aka NetChick)on 18 Jun 2008 at 8:26 pm

Hey Jonathon! You were missed last night! Thanks for the kind words in this entry, and you are completely right, it’s insane trying to find good people these days to fill the many jobs that are currently out there in our wide, and rather unique/interesting field of engaging communities and connecting people.

Hopefully, with events like Third Tuesday, we can inspire more bright minds to join us in our social media adventures!

4. Raulon 19 Jun 2008 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the link love, Jonathon – get well soon!

@ Monica – *whoa* hello, there 😉

@ Larry – Reality is – we can’t afford a house!

5. Jenon 30 Jun 2008 at 9:22 am

I’m glad to see your economy thriving in IT. Now if only we in the US economy could be as fruitful. Our software company products are thriving, hopefully the rest of the country will see prosperity as well.

Jen Thomas
    Glyphius Software

6. jnarveyon 01 Jul 2008 at 8:52 pm

Jen, the USA has benefited hugely from being the driver of new technologies. As far as I know, it still puts every other national contender to shame when it comes to the number of patents developed. It generally does better than most countries in terms of bringing new inventions to market faster to capitalize on good ideas as well.

I expect this will continue over the long haul and technology will be a bright spot of the US economy for some time to come. And yes, that advantage will likely spill over into other industries to help spark a timely revival in America’s fortunes.