Aug 10 2008

Globe&Post: Show Us Your Tits! Oh, Wait. I Don’t Want to See That

Published by at 4:32 pm under Uncategorized

With the threat of a human rights complaint hanging over the heads of owners of a Vancouver H&M clothing store, the “right” of mothers to nurse their babies in public has become a cause celebre for women across Canada (Globe & Mail).

I don’t particularly want to see womens’ breasts hanging out so long as there is an infant attached to them. How about my right to not have to look at scenes like the one above? What’s so terrible about mothers having a little discretion to point their boobs and latched-on babies away from people who don’t want to see it?

Consider this deal: I will continue to not partake in the perfectly natural activities of picking my nose and scratching my balls in front of people so long as nursing moms in Vancouver are willing to show a little discretion.

11 Responses to “Globe&Post: Show Us Your Tits! Oh, Wait. I Don’t Want to See That”

1. stagelefton 11 Aug 2008 at 10:30 am

You have no right not to see a mother breast feeding her child.

You do have the right to pick your nose and scratch your balls in public.

2. jnarveyon 11 Aug 2008 at 11:27 am

Actually, only the second statement is sort of true..

I can quite quickly turn my head to avoid looking at a mother breast feeding her child. I can and have done this, because I don’t like looking at it.

Am I a bit of a caveman? It’s possible. But the reason these kinds of incidents are making headlines is because mothers are trying to push the envelope on what is acceptable to do in public, without facing ostracism — which is what I would face were I to engage in the kind of behaviors described above in my post (hence, my “right” to pick my nose is about as useful as my “right” to choose my own faith in Saudi Arabia).

Mothers can feed their infants in public places just fine. But what’s so difficult about finding a quiet corner to do it in?

3. Larry Yatkowskyon 12 Aug 2008 at 7:35 pm

J.

On any Scale:

Actually if you get up close it’s not as bad as you might think.
    While engorged breasts do not rate on the fashionista scale it’s just a little bit of life going as the attachments get some.

On Being Pushy:

As for pushing the envelope on acceptability. Didn’t they do the something similar about getting the vote? What can you say, other than, not again!

Re-arranging:

The advantage you have is that you have pant pockets so you can be subtle about rearranging your package while you evict some boogers with past due rent. It’s the snort-hork that gives the process away and is to my mind, over the top.

I’m quite sure that if women equally had pockets that allowed subtle, non-invasive breast feeding functions they too would be less inclined to make their point in H&M.

Now if some clever person can figure this out and they do get pockets all will be good. However, if subsequently they insist that they should also be allowed to snort-hork well then, I too will draw a line in the sand.

4. jnarveyon 12 Aug 2008 at 8:02 pm

Well put, Larry. Excellent points.

Perhaps I’ve pushed my own envelope a bit? I may have alienated a few of my loyal readers with this post.

Absolutely right about the snort-hork. Definitely poor form.

And as for a shirt with buttoned pockets that allow for a discreet feed, all I can say is: PURE GENIUS. I believe you’ve inadvertently hit on a gold mine of an idea, my friend. Someone could make a lot of money with it.

5. Raulon 12 Aug 2008 at 9:22 pm

This may lose me brownie points with some feminists, but I actually agree with your point. Truth be told, I think they do like to push the envelope. Anyways… I also concur with Larry. So I guess what I’m saying is — we should be tolerant, but I kinda didn’t like it either, but women have their right to breastfeed wherever they want, and i might not feel comfortable with them doing that, but I won’t express it because I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal.

Sorry this was convoluted :)

6. Larry Yatkowskyon 12 Aug 2008 at 10:25 pm

J.

Ok let’s start a get rich plan on big boob shirts for all those significant squeezes out there.

We’ll call the new outfit “Attachment”. Maybe PeakaBoob would be more appropriate? :>)

Hell if Lulu can do so can we.

Any women designers out there who understand this issue and who want in speak up now.

I’m seeing Velcro, big flaps with comfort support for the big ladies and of course something to catch the drips. So embarassing! Just thinkin….

Damn if I’m going to be one of those guys who tries to design a big boob shirt.

Do we need a meet up for this or just coffee?

7. David Druckeron 16 Aug 2008 at 9:32 am

Larry, my wife tells me that such a piece of clothing has already been invented. She remembers my sister-in-law had one when she was nursing my niece.

8. David Druckeron 16 Aug 2008 at 9:35 am

BTW, I’m for the whole nursing in public thing as long as men get something in return. Not sure what that would be, but I’m up for suggestions.

9. Jennie C.on 18 Aug 2008 at 11:51 am

Yes, the aforementioned tops and undergarments have already been developed. Decades, perhaps centuries, ago. And there’s also blankets and light sheets to cover up with, too — but how would you like eating under a blanket – it gets hot!

I’d be more discrete myself, just a modesty thing. But some people are uncomfortable being near a woman who’s nursing period, even if nothing is showing.

10. […] and it appears my most popular blog post in recent memory involves naked breasts and Canadian political correctness. What’s that they say about giving the public what they […]

11. Private Beachon 05 Sep 2008 at 2:20 am

Seems like hardly anyone here is looking at this from the baby’s point of view.