Dec 31 2008

WorldView: Canadians must demand Hamas gives up its violence against Israel

From my Op Ed in today’s Province, “Canadians must demand Hamas gives up its violence against Israel”

I stand in solidarity with Israel in this week where IDF jets have dropped bombs killing hundreds.

I have no regrets.

Terrorism must be fought. Fascism must be confronted. And in Israel’s fight against Hamas, there is no place for nuance. If you support democracy and peace for both Palestinians and Israelis, Hamas has to go.

Read the rest here.

Also, once again Terry Glavin provides an outstanding analysis of the portrayal of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the media and how it compares with the facts on the ground.

Hoping for a more peaceful 2009, for both the people on both sides of this conflict.
me at the protest.jpeg

8 Responses to “WorldView: Canadians must demand Hamas gives up its violence against Israel”

1. Ruth Seeleyon 31 Dec 2008 at 11:28 am

Jonathon, I’m glad you got out there for the anti-protest. I would have joined you had I not been 1. searching for a snow shovel in Metro Vancouver, since it seems plowing outdoor parking lots isn’t considered a priority and 2. if I could trust myself to attend demonstrations as anything but an observer. I’m still rather embarrassed by my behaviour at the anti-Vietnam war protests in Ottawa in the early 70s – they tended to be organized by Marxist-Leninists, and after I found myself screaming, “Just because Nixon is wrong doesn’t make Ho Chi Minh right!” I thought it was best to absent myself. :)

2. jnarveyon 31 Dec 2008 at 11:40 am

Hopefully we can both make it out for the next one. However, the groups that organize the anti-Israeli protests tend to schedule them during times of the day when working people actually have to be at the office.

I was glad I was able to make it out for this one and very happy to have my words captured in KK’s excellent video. I wish I had more time for political action outside of my vacation days.

3. Jameson 31 Dec 2008 at 2:33 pm

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for providing a reasoned, calm response to the shrill histrionics of the pro-hamas brigade. Nothing turns me against a cause faster than a crowd assembled of “the usual suspects” allying themselves with dangerous islamists. Throwing around words like “genocide” has become so commonplace, it is getting ridiculous. I’m really hoping that both sides can step back and realize the cycle of violence is going nowhere, fast.

Between yourself, Mr Glavin and Normblog I’m grateful for well thought out counters to the anarchist type propaganda being rattled around the local free papers.

4. dirkon 01 Jan 2009 at 3:51 pm

John your “I have no regrets” statement had me seeing “red”.Like come one you have “no regrets”.Anyway peace my friend
    You can read my rebuttal if you so desire

5. jnarveyon 01 Jan 2009 at 11:55 pm

Peace out, yo.

6. Ahmedon 03 Jan 2009 at 4:03 pm

One of the worlds largest and most powerful armies is laying siege to a population of poor and dipossed refugees, killing over 400, injuring thousands, and attacking the physical and human infrustructure of an entire society, while you organise “counter protests” expliciting aimed at providing moral support for such barbarity. Maybe there’s a reason you’re only able to drag along one or two other people along with you.

7. jnarveyon 03 Jan 2009 at 5:13 pm

Ahmed, the reason I wasn’t able to organize a large group overnight had far more to do with my poor organizational skills and a general fear by my friends and colleagues that the pro-Palestinian side would engage in violence against us.

It’s a legitimate fear, given the violence that Palestinian protesters have engaged in previously here in Canada. For an example, check this link:

When pro-Hamas protesters agree to a contest of ideas rather than relying on intimidation, you will probably see a large number of Canadians coming out in support of peace and democracy for both Palestinians and Israelis.

8. Ahmedon 04 Jan 2009 at 1:47 am

If you were truly committed to the idea of peace and democracy for Palestinians and Isrealis than you’d would be brave and emulate Israelis like Uri Avnery, Gideon Levy and Jeff Halper–people who understand that Israeli security cannot be built upon the oppression and brutalisation of an entire people. Terrorism for you is nothing but an empty rhetorical device thrown around to defend the slaughter of innocent people and the destruction of a society already under siege. How many more massacres are you willing to defend? How many Palestinians need to be killed before you come to the conclusion that lasting peace can only be built on a framework of justice and equality? That you cannot bomb and kill people into submission. That an open advocate of mass slaughter like you now pretends to support “peace” and “non violent” dialogue is realy shameful.