Feb 10 2009

MyLife: 25 Things About Me

Published by at 9:21 am under MyLife,Vancouver

You’re about to find out 25 Things about Me (thanks to a meme tag from my friend and fellow Vancouver blogger, David Drucker).

1. My last name is a shortened form of Narovlansky. Or so I’m told.
2. I believe Canada has a role to play in promoting human rights and freedom abroad. You, too? Sign this pledge and join me.
3. I play chess with social media genius Joe Solomon most weekends and lose just about every time.
4. I’ve worked as a writer in some form or another since 1999. My first article as a paid journalist was for this plucky little newspaper in my hometown. I think I was covering a trade fair in Brandon.
5. I met the love of my life over six years ago and plan to happily spend at least the next 66 years with her, assuming the timely intervention of medical science.
6. I’m a fan of Sean Orr‘s Morning Brew at Beyond Robson. There’s something about hyper-local hyper-cynical.
7. I write a column about Vancouver’s sustainability scene for a local magazine.
8. I am inspired by the work of a BC-based human rights consultant, Lauryn Oates, who was blacklisted by the Taliban at the age of 14.
9. I enjoy discussing politics and current affairs for hours on end with the encyclopedic workaholic superman and journalist Ian King and the poetic and most earnest Canuck, Lyle Neff, usually over many pints of draft.
10. I know way more about social media and IT security than you might think, but still have a lot to learn before anyone calls me a guru.
11. My wife and I celebrate the month-iversaries of our first meeting in a cafe and our wedding day every month without fail. We even have a song.
12. I hang out with a cool guy who speaks seven languages (or more. I’ve lost count), has a photographic memory and includes “fashion model” and “environmental consultant” on his resume. I speak, of course, of the super-blogger Hummingbird604.com. Raul is cool.
13. Back in high school, my favorite comic books were the Incredible Hulk and the Swamp Thing. I liked my heroes monstrous and misunderstood.
14. I’m proud to call best-selling author and tireless journalist Terry Glavin a friend and comrade. If you ever see me waving a socialist flag amidst the vanguard of the workers’ revolution against the powers that be, you’ll know who to thank.
15. I chew at least a pack of gum a day.
16. I like ska music. Fuzzcat ROCKS!
17. I have worked on political campaigns, but I’ve never been a signed member of any political party.
18. I’ve attended the Covenant Zone.
19. I’ve seen the inside of a tunnel dug by the North Koreans beneath the DMZ to facilitate an invasion of the South.
20. I can quote virtually any line of Sex in the City dialogue five seconds before it happens.
21. When I play Civilization, I never start wars, but I always finish them.
22. My favorite film is Barton Fink.
23. I don’t spend nearly enough time with Michael Klassen, one of Vancouver’s smartest commentators on local politics, urban planning, communications trends and much else besides.
24. I’ve shaken hands and had a brief conversation with Prince Charles of England.
25. I love the life I share with my wife and I’m grateful every day for the chance to live with her in the best city in the greatest country on the face of the Earth.

Since I try to keep my spamming of friends and colleagues to a minimum, I will not be passing on this 25-Things meme. On the other hand, my readers are free to assume they are “tagged” by reading this post, if they are so inclined. Cheers.
MyFace 051

11 Responses to “MyLife: 25 Things About Me”

1. Maurice Cardinalon 10 Feb 2009 at 9:28 am

Barton Fink is a ripper

2. David Druckeron 10 Feb 2009 at 10:45 am

Nicely done. Barton Fink is a great and mind-blowing movie. Ever seen one of the Cohn brothers’ earlier films, Blood Simple? It’s got some of the most memorable imagery I’ve ever seen (especially the scene where the bullets making holes in a wall expose light beams as they appear – WOW!). If you haven’t seen it yet, we’ll have to arrange for you to come over and do so (I’ve got a DVD).

You should use that photo as a gravatar, although at that size you couldn’t tell that it was shot here. Still, it is cool.

3. gusgreeperon 10 Feb 2009 at 12:52 pm

this was great, one of my favourites that i’ve read… next time i see you i will for sure be asking you about 19 and i love all the stuff about your and your wife.

4. royceon 10 Feb 2009 at 3:44 pm

It’s a great and varied list. Perhaps one day I can win you over to the opinion that human rigths and the application of international law should and in fact must not excluse Palestinians, too, from its purview. But that debate is for another day. I love these 25 things list

5. jnarveyon 10 Feb 2009 at 4:01 pm

For the last time, let me go on record that I’ve never excluded human rights and the application of international law to anyone. And those who do so are either erroneously misrepresenting what I’ve said or written or deliberately lying.

Royce, if you happen to be stopping by this blog again, do me the honor of at least apologizing for a sincere error (since I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren’t trying to deliberately smear me with lies).

6. jnarveyon 10 Feb 2009 at 4:01 pm

Glad you liked the list, anyway.

7. royceon 10 Feb 2009 at 11:03 pm

I dont know Narvey it seems to me that Amnesty International, the Red Cross, Chris Dunness of the UN and others were quite clear that the actions of Israel in blocking humanatarian aid, firing at places of refuge, firing at emergency vehicles were not only deliberate but they represented a violation of human rights. I heard no criticism from you even as the bodies piled up, and over 300 children were killed. I know I will prompt a long spheel about the horrors of Hamas (which are real) but that should and must not act as an excuse or cover for mass violence condemned justly by so many voices of conscience including Israeli and jewish. I’m actaully quite disappointed in you

8. sean orron 11 Feb 2009 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the nod.

9. Jonathon Narveyon 11 Feb 2009 at 10:48 am

You’re disappointed?

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” – Winston Churchill

Cheers, Royce.

10. Raulon 11 Feb 2009 at 3:09 pm

It’s an honor to be your friend, Jonathon!

11. royceon 11 Feb 2009 at 8:11 pm

Well we will then agree to disagree. Head nod, too, to the great blogger sean orr who has been consistently moral on this issue.