Feb 10 2009
You’re about to find out 25 Things about Me (thanks to a meme tag from my friend and fellow Vancouver blogger, David Drucker).
1. My last name is a shortened form of Narovlansky. Or so I’m told.
2. I believe Canada has a role to play in promoting human rights and freedom abroad. You, too? Sign this pledge and join me.
3. I play chess with social media genius Joe Solomon most weekends and lose just about every time.
4. I’ve worked as a writer in some form or another since 1999. My first article as a paid journalist was for this plucky little newspaper in my hometown. I think I was covering a trade fair in Brandon.
5. I met the love of my life over six years ago and plan to happily spend at least the next 66 years with her, assuming the timely intervention of medical science.
6. I’m a fan of Sean Orr‘s Morning Brew at Beyond Robson. There’s something about hyper-local hyper-cynical.
7. I write a column about Vancouver’s sustainability scene for a local magazine.
8. I am inspired by the work of a BC-based human rights consultant, Lauryn Oates, who was blacklisted by the Taliban at the age of 14.
9. I enjoy discussing politics and current affairs for hours on end with the encyclopedic workaholic superman and journalist Ian King and the poetic and most earnest Canuck, Lyle Neff, usually over many pints of draft.
10. I know way more about social media and IT security than you might think, but still have a lot to learn before anyone calls me a guru.
11. My wife and I celebrate the month-iversaries of our first meeting in a cafe and our wedding day every month without fail. We even have a song.
12. I hang out with a cool guy who speaks seven languages (or more. I’ve lost count), has a photographic memory and includes “fashion model” and “environmental consultant” on his resume. I speak, of course, of the super-blogger Hummingbird604.com. Raul is cool.
13. Back in high school, my favorite comic books were the Incredible Hulk and the Swamp Thing. I liked my heroes monstrous and misunderstood.
14. I’m proud to call best-selling author and tireless journalist Terry Glavin a friend and comrade. If you ever see me waving a socialist flag amidst the vanguard of the workers’ revolution against the powers that be, you’ll know who to thank.
15. I chew at least a pack of gum a day.
16. I like ska music. Fuzzcat ROCKS!
17. I have worked on political campaigns, but I’ve never been a signed member of any political party.
18. I’ve attended the Covenant Zone.
19. I’ve seen the inside of a tunnel dug by the North Koreans beneath the DMZ to facilitate an invasion of the South.
20. I can quote virtually any line of Sex in the City dialogue five seconds before it happens.
21. When I play Civilization, I never start wars, but I always finish them.
22. My favorite film is Barton Fink.
23. I don’t spend nearly enough time with Michael Klassen, one of Vancouver’s smartest commentators on local politics, urban planning, communications trends and much else besides.
24. I’ve shaken hands and had a brief conversation with Prince Charles of England.
25. I love the life I share with my wife and I’m grateful every day for the chance to live with her in the best city in the greatest country on the face of the Earth.
Since I try to keep my spamming of friends and colleagues to a minimum, I will not be passing on this 25-Things meme. On the other hand, my readers are free to assume they are “tagged” by reading this post, if they are so inclined. Cheers.