Feb 17 2009

MyLife: A Tourist In Vancouver

Published by at 5:00 pm under CityView,MyLife,Vancouver

I’ll be playing tourist in my own city this weekend. We’ll likely wander down to Cafe Artigiano, the Vancouver Art Gallery or Canada Place at some point, but we’d also like to try out something new. Any suggestions for hidden gems of locales or activities in downtown Vancouver on Saturday? I’ll probably have my camera with me, just so you know.

No hiking suggestions, please. Stanley Park is always nice and we’ll get there when the weather warms up a bit, but we’re not very out-doorsy. Cheers.

Gassy Jack edit

6 Responses to “MyLife: A Tourist In Vancouver”

1. Kempon 17 Feb 2009 at 5:53 pm

This is written for a “Tourist”:

“I recommend Lift bar and grill as it is in the area of your other activities. Although it is a bit hard to find it’s worth it. Head towards Stanley Park from downtown along the waters edge, whyou will walk past it on the Coal Harbour seawall.

Sit upstairs by the fire in the sun or downstairs by the glass window facing stanley park with no sun or if it’s too cold. Stay for just a bit. The menu is pricey but the view and atomosphere is worth a $12 sushi roll in the day. Prices vary but have a drink or a coffee and nibble there are better eats just up the road.

From there I would head to Robson Street for a walk or to Alberni just west of Burrard street and eat at one a quite a few great options including: Kobe Japanese Teppan-style, Italian Kitchen and Saltlik for a taste of the praire’s version of hometown classics Cactus Club, Earls’ and Milestones. If what you see doesn’t appeal to you just head west and one block south to Robson for a great selection of restaurants, shops and street activity.”

Cheers!

2. Rob H.on 18 Feb 2009 at 7:55 am

Well.. to start with, stop down at he Elbow Room for breakfast – great fare and a very “un-Earls” kind of atmosphere.. but be ready to be slightly abused and to “get your own coffee”. Good natured, fun poking, breakfast spot. 560 Davie Street.. from there, I’d walk down to take the Seabus and then wander about Granville Island.. lots of pic opportunities there..

Have fun – from cold and not nearly as pleasant Southern Alberta.

3. Fredon 19 Feb 2009 at 10:15 am

If the Parks Board Kiosk at Sunset Beach is open, go for the Burger, fully loaded.

“Al”, the kiosk proprietor, is a great lady and grills the onions to perfection.

Best flattop grill burger in Vancouver.

Phone first to make sure she’s opening.

4. Hilary Henegaron 19 Feb 2009 at 2:22 pm

Why not take a trip on the SkyTrain? My ma and I did this over the holidays as a way to “explore” from the comfort of a fully enclosed car with a cuppa joe.

On a clear day, you can see forever in many sections of the track, and you end up getting a glimpse of parts of the area that you might not ordinarily see. The view of the river near New West is the best part; the second best part is the northern arm of the Millenium Line with its incredible views of the North Shore mountains.

5. Luciaon 20 Feb 2009 at 4:51 pm

Looks like there is a cool light show happening in Yaletown on Sat. night, it might be neat to end your night there.

Not a ‘standard’ tourist thing to do as it’s a one-off, but you can see the area in the process.

Cheers

6. Billigflügeon 14 Apr 2009 at 7:36 am

That’s an idea. I’ve never heard of someone trying to see his own hometown with the eyes of a tourist, but I like the idea. There is surely something nice and new to discover and some places, you don’t look at anymore, because you’re so used that they’re there will be different. I love your idea. The more I think about it, the more I want to go out and do it in my own hometown. Even though we’re not a typical town where tourists go, it will be still an adventure to see it with other eyes.
    Thanks for the idea, I hope your “tourist weekend” was a success.