Apr 26 2009

MyLife: Calgary Zoo and Jurassic Park

Published by at 1:31 pm under MyLife

I recently had the opportunity to hang out at Calgary Zoo, also home to a wide range of very life-like dinosaurs.

I always feel guilty visiting zoos, given that the enclosures are so pathetic compared with the size of a comfortable habitat for creatures in the wild. Keeping animals in captivity is just cruel, no matter how one spins the benefits of zoos. If all zoos closed tomorrow, it would be a good thing.

That said, there’s not much else to do or see in Calgary, and I figured a personal boycott wouldn’t amount to much. Hence, I have some pretty neat photos of the captive species, as well as the dino-statues. Enjoy.
Calgary April 09 177
Calgary April 09 044
Calgary April 09 024
Calgary April 09 012
Calgary April 09 122
Calgary April 09 075
Calgary April 09 061

7 Responses to “MyLife: Calgary Zoo and Jurassic Park”

1. A Nonny Mouseon 26 Apr 2009 at 1:58 pm

Ya make no sense, boredom is now an excuse to partake in an activity that you think is cruel and inhumane? Really?

2. jnarveyon 26 Apr 2009 at 3:46 pm

Yup. Nailed it. When sightseeing is limited, you go for what’s on offer. Boredom is the enemy of moral standards.

I think there’s a saying about idle hands that makes use of the same sentiment.

Cheers.

3. Paton 26 Apr 2009 at 5:34 pm

Ah yes, and if it were not for the preservation of species at some zoos and the eduction of people to the plight of animals in the wild, we would be minus many more species.

Nice pictures!!

4. jnarveyon 26 Apr 2009 at 5:55 pm

I’m afraid the preservation of species at some zoos is quite a bit less effective than most people presently understand. Animals in captivity don’t breed as well, and the ones that do survive are incapable of operating in the wild.

You see most zoo animals pacing back and forth endlessly in their enclosures. It’s not because that’s what they like to do in the wild. They do that because they’ve become psychotic automatons. They are roughly equivalent to zombies.

Animals “preserved” in zoos are biological dead-ends, contributing nothing to the complex interrelation of viable wildlife networks and evolutionary development.

That’s why I feel bad when I visit zoos, even as something about me, a confirmed urban dweller, appreciates the opportunity to see animals with my own eyes. It’s a guilty pleasure.

5. Earnest Canuckon 27 Apr 2009 at 2:36 am

I know, the giraffes look anorexic, the belugas irritable, and the lions mangy, hey, Jon? You are one with the ghastly Shelly Fralic —
    in mourning and/or empathising with caged critters, and asserting that the era of the zoo/ aquarium/ animal exhibition is over. Because we now love zebras and otters too much to ever see them in the flesh, I guess…?

I can’t see that caging (a few) wild animals with food and mates and veterinary care is any crueller than leaving the rest of ’em to the predators and parasites of the natural habitat. The baby elephant of your third pic will never roam the savannah, sure. He also won’t get disembowelled by crocodiles or devoured from within by untreated ringworm; nor will he fall into a ravine and starve there.

You think these “captive” animals would prefer to be free, JN. But would they? Would they make the same choice as you and Fralic? You’re suffering from sentimentality and anthropomorphism at the same time, chum. How do you know if an otter is “psychotic”? Dude: if all zoos closed tomorrow, it would be a bad thing, for animals and humans both.

6. Adriana , Costa Rica HQon 12 Jun 2009 at 8:15 pm

Although, I have to admit I have participated and sadly enjoyed watching these poor animals in their cages by visiting a few zoos in the past, I do agree that they should stay in their natural habitat. It doesn´t matter how well they are treated and if their treatments are as similar to the standards of a 5 star hotel. It goes against the laws of nature. Also, how do we know how they are really treated? I don´t know if I got affected by the newest cartoon movies, but I do believe that freedom suits them better than captivity. I don´t know if it is my imagination, but don´t the animals look sad to you when you see them at the zoo and on the contrary so healthy and if you can say happy when they are free? I enjoyed the photos but I am sure I would have enjoyed them better if they were taken in a remote jungle setting.

Costa Rica HQ

7. Laurenon 02 Jul 2010 at 7:29 am

Not all zoos shove all their animals into tiny cages and they become zombies.
    There are programs that alot of zoos have, where they try to release endangered species into the wild. And thats a bad thing? Zoos help people learn about animals from all over the world, and seeing pictures of animals doesn’t really compare.
    Some of the large predator animals don’t have as big of exhibits as they should, but it would be too dangerous for people to see them in the wild. Alot of other animals are perfectly happy, are well fed, and get great veternary care.
    All zoos shouldnt be closed, and if you hate how the animals are treated, then u should donate to the building of a new exhibit instead of boycotting it, because it costs alot of money to give the animals good care. Everything isn’t as black and white as you’d like it to be