Aug 17 2010

God Ordered This Census, You Say?

Published by at 10:51 am under Canada,canadian politics,Media

You’ve got to be kidding. First, just about every hard-boiled secular (or at least non-Christian) political opponent of Prime Minister Stephen Harper has already implied he’s some kind of nefarious theocrat with a hidden evangelical agenda that’s sort of modeled on Iran’s Islamic Republic.

But what’s the latest criticism of Steve-O? The PM is ignoring the will of God by making the census voluntary.

Our government is wrong-headed in its policy direction because it refuses to be influenced by cherry-picked verses from the Old Testament? What?

You can’t make this stuff up. Thanks, Globe and Mail.

12 Responses to “God Ordered This Census, You Say?”

1. Franceson 17 Aug 2010 at 12:08 pm

Actually, God punished the people when King David ordered a census.

2. Tedon 17 Aug 2010 at 12:58 pm

Actually, Lorna Dueck is the executive producer of Listen Up TV, a Christian faith based network, and former co-host of 100 Huntley Street, the famous/infamous Christian television program. She is as traditional and evangelical as they come.

If I was Harper and saw that the Conservatives are losing the conservative Protestant groups (including evangelicals), the progressive Protestant groups, the Roman Catholic groups and the Jewish groups, I might want to start reconsidering my position. Or at least my arrogant dismissal of these Canadian voters and groups as “elites” who don’t count.

3. Monicaon 17 Aug 2010 at 1:31 pm

Yea it would be aweful if organized religion couldn’t obtain the official Stat’s Canada label as the most popular religion in Canada. Poor dears must wait with bated breath waiting to see which god squad is the most popular in Canada. Yea a decriminalized census breaks my heart, NOT frankly I don’t care how many Catholics are living in Canada and I’m catholic.

If organized religion want’s the stats they can pay a private polling company to produce said stats.

4. Canadiansenseon 17 Aug 2010 at 2:19 pm

For Ted (Liberal apologist)

When using the Bible to paint all Conservative policy with a religious zealot’s brush, try not to use an Old Testament anecdote that is refuted in the New Testament. Not only does it make you look like an anti-Christian leftist bigot, you look like a lazy and ignorant anti-Christian bigot.

Social engineers, central planners, statists are ignoring the 50% who don’t care a fig about the Census. The monthly media spin on this, fake lake, Helena, body bags, wafer, prorogue will not save the Liberal Party.

The lowest pop in 2008, shutout in 2009, cropped photos on tour #6, the three million shortfall from last year numbers tell the real story.

The Liberals in Canada are becoming obsolete, the dustbin of history.

The left has collapsed.

Its political support has collapsed. Public opinion polls point to a historic repudiation of the president and the Democratic party this fall—something on the order of a 60-seat Republican gain in the House. The GOP has an outside shot at taking the Senate as well.

Europe, the retreat of the fake green and socialist is well underway. In every democratic contest the parties that have pushed for cuts and smaller governments have increased their seats.

5. Tedon 17 Aug 2010 at 2:27 pm

As usual, CS, I left wondering just what the heck you are even saying. It is really baffling. I do recognize words and even sentences in what you “wrote” or at least sentence-like structure.

But seriously, step away from the computer for 10 minutes, then come back and read what you wrote and tell me any of that makes sense or is related to the comment thread or bears any teeny tiny relation to my comment.

Bizarre.

6. Canadiansenseon 17 Aug 2010 at 3:01 pm

Don’t worry Teddy it will become much clearer after the next election.

7. Tedon 17 Aug 2010 at 3:15 pm

No seriously, CS. You accuse me of politicizing the Bible. I haven’t made any reference to the Bible. That kind of lying really pisses me off. So typical of your ilk, culture of deceit through and through.

8. Darcyon 17 Aug 2010 at 3:17 pm

As I told Mrs. Dueck, I can provide the bishops, or God, the numbers for several polling firms that would be happy to survey their communities for them.

9. Fredon 17 Aug 2010 at 10:20 pm

# Ted

If that were true, he just might. But it’s not…it’s just another Liberal distortion of the truth, which is that *some* of these people are upset. Most simply don’t care, sorry.

10. Franceson 18 Aug 2010 at 9:33 am

The various churches know the ‘real’ figures: those faithful who come to worship and support their parishes. And the original census was a simple count of the people, with some distinction as to age and gender, not a question of how many ‘bedrooms’ in the tent and other obtrusive queries.

11. Tedon 18 Aug 2010 at 11:40 am

Actually Frances, the first census had over 200 questions including questions about ethnicity, place of birth, type of work. And it was always mandatory.

12. real conservativeon 19 Aug 2010 at 10:24 am

Ted, any religious person in this country that thinks voting for the liberals or NDP is a better vote is simply disloyal to their creator. Fact of the matter: Liberals have done little for religion in this country and the NDP would dismantle churches, synagoges and temples in months if possible. Yes they can sit on their hands or stay home but is handing power over to their enemies. Rather than playing into the hands of socialists, when is organized religion in this country going to step up and fight to help conservatives?