Jun 03 2011
A few things to think about in the wake of today’s silliness.
- We live in a parliamentary democracy that is the envy of the world. Barring a surprise election victory by the Bloc Quebecois, it’s going to stay that way, no matter which national party gets in.
- The majority Conservative government is not going to throw their political opponents into prison camps or turn the country into a contaminated neo-con dystopia.
- If you think the Conservatives’ lack of a majority of the population’s vote is a problem for democracy, you might have raised the point when the Liberals were getting voted in by similar margins. Thank the first-past-the-post system. And if you don’t know what that is or don’t care, you’ve got no business being a Senate page.
- If you’ve got a beef with the Conservatives, organize. Protest. Tell your opposition MP what you want them to say in the House of Commons.
- Don’t make an ass of yourself and our democratic traditions.