Jul 18 2012

Barack Obama Doesn’t Hate Business

Published by at 10:05 am under politics,propaganda

Speaking of taking statements out of context to make someone look bad, here’s my response on The Propagandist to the ludicrous meme going around about Barack Obama.

“If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that.”

If you read that sentence on its own, it obviously makes no sense. “I’ve got a business. What do you mean, I didn’t built that? I poured my blood, sweat and tear into this thing! I employ a whole bunch of Americans! We’re pursuing the American dream, you damned… socialist!”

Except that Obama didn’t utter that sentence on its own.

8 Responses to “Barack Obama Doesn’t Hate Business”

1. Franceson 18 Jul 2012 at 2:31 pm

I just re-read Mr Obama’s speech. While I understand what the message was supposed to be, the overall tenor of the speech is a real put-down of people who are creative and talented, and who use their talents to start businesses. Certainly, I owe a lot to my family, etc., etc., but they’re not the ones putting in the time and energy to make my small business successful. Nor am I the one doing their hard slog as they build businesses and careers. Not once did Mr Obama acknowledge this, nor that it’s the enterpreneurs who try and fail and try again who have done much to build the country.

2. jnarveyon 18 Jul 2012 at 2:43 pm

As a business person also, I just don’t see that, Frances. Certainly, I don’t see his remarks as a put down of creative and talented people. All he’s saying is that our success is largely dependent upon the opportunities we get from being in countries that enjoy free markets, decent infrastructure, basic emergency services, etc.

Try setting up a business in Libya right now. Or Russia, if you can’t afford to pay bribes to export goods or services. Or Venezuela, if you’re not a member of the Hugo Chavez fan club. People who get ahead in the USA do so partly because they are in America. Thankfully, us Canucks are arguably in an even more enviable position in terms of an environment that makes business easy.

When civil society and government are functioning reasonably well, you’ve got space for businesses to grow. I recognize that. It’s not a put-down to me to know that my country fosters a welcoming environment for entrepreneurs. Rather, it makes me proud to be part of a society that works the way it does.

I think Obama recognizes this reality and just wants to make sure that business owners pay their dues (along with everyone else) for the country they’ve got. There’s a reason why Warren Buffett thought it was odd that he paid less of a percentage of his earnings than his secretary.

3. Powell Lucason 18 Jul 2012 at 2:59 pm

No, Obama doesn’t hate business…he just hates capitalism.

4. jnarveyon 18 Jul 2012 at 3:25 pm

If by “capitalism” you mean an economic system masquerading as a system of free enterprise that is actually is in many ways a walled garden for corrupt tycoons and their crony bought-and-paid-for Republican Congressmen who go to bat for corporate welfare schemes, then yes, I do believe Obama hates that.

5. Jameson 18 Jul 2012 at 8:25 pm

Everyone has access to the infrastructure provided by government and yet not everyone ends up being rich and successful. So saying that you had help along the way is understood by all. That’s why i’t's so silly. It all fits in with his ideology. We should all have an equal result.

6. Thucydideson 18 Jul 2012 at 8:44 pm

When you look at the overall tenor of the Obama Administration, (or even farther back to the election campaign), you see the “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that” quote fits into everything else, from “spreading the wealth around” to class war memes about taxing the (unspecified) rich. The collossal failure of the administrations “stimulus” program and $5 trillion dollar deficit spending binge has simply sharpened the need for the Administration to seek out scapegoats for their own failure (blaming President George W Bush is a bit old now that they have had three years to institute changes).

And re reading the speech, President Obama is hardly singing peans to the institutions of a civil society, he is explicitly telling us the only reason people get ahead is the Government, and by extension, that we should be demanding more government so more people get ahead. While this is great for the crony capitalists who have benefited from this administration ($1.5 trillion in handouts to “green” energy alone), it is ruin to the ordinary taxpayer who is being forced to pay for this.

7. Jacob Skinneron 19 Jul 2012 at 8:16 am

Obama does not ‘hate business’ but as a socialist he believes owners ought to share more with their employees and the community which is of course disagreeable for people who own their own businesses – I know as a business owner I often felt like a slave to my employees who felt that it was my obligation to provide them with work.

The socialist mentality does not work and if practiced will not be long before employers decide it is to their advantage to be employees too. Where will everyone work then? I could understand if Obama was simply saying that business profits are the result of government services (roads, street lights, etc.); but he is suggesting the role of government goes well beyond these simple services and that government has an entitlement not just to some of what a persons earns but ALL of it if he had his way.

Should this be construed as hating business? I am not convinced it should, even though the ‘end’ of all this is less entrepreneurialism, fewer jobs, and less prosperity.

8. Franceson 19 Jul 2012 at 11:50 am

J – the President’s statements were obviously from a man who has never held a job where his pay depended upon the customers walking through the door and his service to them, let alone ever having to meet a payroll (and cutting back his own pay because of cash flow). It’s the total ignorance that really threw me.